This article outlines structural racking and all the advantages that come with such a system. Updating the warehouse that you currently have can be very challenging and one of the most important things that you need to consider is whether you will be doing a Structural Racking system or Roll Formed Racking system. Both systems have different features and handle varying weight capacities for pallet loads. The roll formed components are much lighter, can be easily snapped together and therefore are less expensive to buy and can be easily installed. However, this type of system is limited to the amount of weight that it can support and can be damaged from the fork lift trucks. Accessories are available to ensure protection of the racking frames from damage. Structural Pallet Racking is formed form heavier gauge of steel and will withstand the most harsh warehouse conditions. A fairly new concept called ‘HYBRID’ pallet racking combines the structural frames with roll formed beams to provide an economical yet rigid system. Hybrid Racking Systems are becoming more popular.
The Structural racking components created from heavier cast steel can provide higher capacity loads. Since the structural parts or components are being bolted together, they will require slightly more labor in installing. However, this will require less maintenance. Long term a structural racking system will stand the test of time.
Advantages of structural pallet racking system:
- Strength. The structural steel channels strength and quality. The fully bolted connections will be able to handle heavy product / pallet loads.
- Durability. You can use it for various applications like for long lasting performances, quick turnover, heavy load and harsh conditions. It is also ideal for 3PL Distribution Facilities.
- Versatility. Offers a great range of load capacities. The most common configurations include pallet flow, pushback as well as drive in or drive thru applications.
The roll formed pallet racking has the following advantages:
- Convenience. It is a system which is boltless and would be easy to assemble. Provides great management of the stocks in that you will have direct access in every pallet. Since you can easily move the clips quickly, beam levels can be easily altered in order to accommodate different load sizes and heights for your changing product stock.
- Adaptable. The roll formed pallet rack adapts to the volume, weight as well as the size of different products. It is excellent for warehouses that are storing products or stocks of different sizes.
- Cost effective. Less expensive and more adaptable compared to the structural steel racking providing a cost effective return on your investment.
In todays competitive market place, leaders in the industry are constantly seeking ways to streamline business procedures in order to maximize productivity. A great way of ensuring that a company will get the most of their storage capacity is with pallet racking. Whether it is Roll formed, Structural or Hybrid your investment needs to suit your type of warehousing operation and business. North American Steel will design your warehouse system taking into consideration heights of your building to maximize space and type of product loads to implement the best racking possible. Being able to utilize an effective pallet racking storage system will be very helpful to your business. The right warehouse pallet racking system will improve picking performance and help in your bottom line profitability.